Despite the long fasts and lack of food (yes – not even water!), Ramadan is and always has been a time where friends and families come together to eat, spend time together over food and share recipes so we can all feed each other!
Unfortunately, I don’t really get much time to cook but even I manage to put a few things together during Ramadan. One of the only recipes I feel I’ve inherited from my sister is Singaporean rice – a rich dish with layers of rice, noodles, veggies, chicken (or any other meat) and all the chilli mayonnaise you can manage to get on there, topped off with fried garlic and chillies! Because Ramadan is a time for sharing and caring, here is my attempt with this recipe:
- 200 gm Spaghetti or Noodles
- 1 cup rice
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 tbsp. butter
- oil as necessary
Ingredients for Mayonnaise Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Hellmann’s mayonnaise (you can also use any of Hellmann’s mayonnaise range including Vegan, Chilli and Low Fat mayonnaise)
- 3-4 tbsp ketchup
- pinch of salt
- tiny touch of garlic paste for flavour
- 2 tsp. red chilli powder
Ingredients for Chicken and Veggie Gravy
- 1/2 kg boneless chicken (preferably breast) cut into cubes
- capsicum chopped very finely (I used 1 red and 1 green for the colour combination)
- 1 carrot, cubed finely
- 1 onion chopped very fine
- 1/2 tsp. ginger/garlic paste
- 2 green chillies chopped (if you don’t want the dish too spicy you can omit this)
- juice of half a lemon
- splash of soya sauce
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp. chopped coriander
- 1 tsp. red chilli flakes or chilli powder
- 1 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. corn flour mixed in 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp. oil
- salt to taste
- Take 1 cup of rice and leave it to soak in water for 20 minutes.
- Separately, boil a pot of water, add the salt and 1 tbsp oil into it.
- Add the pre-soaked rice.
- Boil until rice is almost done, drain the water and put the rice back into the pot.
- Cover and steam for 15 minutes.
- Boil 200g spaghetti pasta as per packet instructions, add some salt and oil into the boiling water.
- Drain the spaghetti one done and drizzle 1 tbsp of oil on the pasta to prevent it from clumping together.
- Put in a hotpot and set aside.
The Mayonnaise Sauce
- Mix together the Hellmann’s mayonnaise, ketchup, salt, garlic paste and red chilli powder, and adjust according to your own taste.
- Set aside.
The Chicken and Veggies Gravy
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the unions and fry until they are translucent.
- Add the chicken, ginger and garlic paste. Fry for a few minutes until the chicken colour changes. Then add the capsicum and carrots.
- Stir fry until the chicken is about done (should take about 8-10 mins). Add the green chillies, chopped coriander, soya sauce, ketchup and lemon juice, plus chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Cook together for another 2 minutes, then add the corn flour mixed in water. Reduce the heat and let the gravy simmer for a few more minutes. You can add some extra water if you want extra gravy or if you find it too dry. Adjust taste and turn off the heat.
- In a small pan, prepare the garlic and chilli topping. Take 3-4 cloves of garlic and chop them up into tiny bits. Then chop 2-3 green chillies. Add 1 tbsp butter to the pan and let it melt, then add the garlic and chilli. On low heat, fry these together for a few minutes until the aroma is great and the garlic is fried.
- Take a large dish and pour the rice to cover the bottom.
- Then follow it with the spaghetti to cover the rice.
- Then pour the chicken gravy over the spaghetti.
- Drizzle the mayonnaise sauce all around the edges and some in the centre. Finally sprinkle the buttery garlic and chilli all over