Hellmann’s mayonaisse has to be the most iconic ingredient for every kitchen, regardless of background. So when Hellmann’s asked me to create my favourite recipe this Ramadan, I couldn’t hekp but add a little spice and colour to recreate this dish. Growing up in Kenya, Tilapia was one of my favourite fish. Don’t worry if you don’t have any tilapia – just use any other fish but tilapia is my fave for this recipe.
For the creamy sauce
2 large tbsp Hellmann’s mayonnaise
1 cup chopped coriander
1 small piece of ginger, chopped
3 garlic cloves
2 green chillies
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp milk
For the fish
2 pieces of tilapia (approx 80g each)
30g salted butter, room temperature
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
1/4 tsp white pepper
- Mix together the butter, lemon juice, ginger and garlic paste, white pepper and mix well. You’ll need to ensure that the butter is at room temperature to be able to mix it, if it’s not warm it up in the microwave for 10 seconds then mix
- Place a kitchen towel on top of a piece of tilapia and pat to remove excess water. Do this on both sides of each piece of fish
- Rub in the buttery mixture all over both sides of the tilapia
- In a pan, add a splash of oil (I usedd coconut oil for exra healthiness and flavour) Shallow fry the marinated tilapia for 2-3 mins or till golden brown.
- Now for the sauce, in a blender, add together our favourite Hellmann’s Mayo, corainder, ginger, garlic, green chillies, lemon juice, milk and blend the mixture. You should be left with a beautiful bright green colour.
6. Drizzle generously over the tilapia and garnish with spring onions.