Its been over a year since we’ve been missing all the amazing foods we used to eat at restaurants, so that means a year of trying to recreate all the foods at home. If there was one dish I wanted to try as soon as lockdown eased iut was the amazing pistachio lamb chops I had at Mantle in Knightsbridge last summer. IN the absence of that I decided to recreate it at home, because why not.
Disclaimer – as it’s Ramadan and I can’t eat till 9pm, please excuse the dark, shoddy shots of the final product
For the lamb
6 lamb chops
Salt to tast3 (I used himalayan salt)
Pepper to taste
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp pistachio paste (I used Pistachino)
For the crust
1 cup pistachios (finely chopped)
2 tbsp breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
1 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C on the middle rack
- To marinate the lamb, sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, oregano and parsley. Press firmly with your fingers into the lamb so it sticks
- In a skillet pan, heat some oil on a high-medium heat. Brown the lamb chops for about 2 mins each or till they are brown. Set aside and let cool for 5 mins.
- Cover the lamb chops in dijon mustard, then a thin layer of pistachio paste (this is optional but adds a sweet taste to the chops)
- Now for the fun part – in a small bowl mix the pistachios, butter, breadcrumbs, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cover all the lamb chops with the pistachio mixture using your fingers and press down well so it stick to the mustard.
- Roast the lamb chops in the oven for 15-20mins
- Cover with foil and let rest for 10 mins